Friday, May 09, 2008

Hooked on Phonics

I have been out of touch with the blogging world for a couple of weeks. But it is thanks to the blogging world that Drew can now read. A BIG thank you goes out to Jenny Bobo for recommending the Leap Frog Letter Factory video on her blog! I would be amiss if I did not pass on along the same information. This video teaches letters and sounds. I bought it specifically for Drew (who turned four just last month). I ordered it sometime in February and had him watch it EVERYDAY. It was his "school time" at home. And throughout the movie, it was his job to participate in saying the sounds and singing the songs as it went along. Within a week, he knew 20 out of the 26 letters by sight and sound. Before he started watching the movie, he could only identify about ten letters by sight and he didn't know many of the sounds. So this was a HUGE improvement, all within a week! It became a daily ritual; before nap time he would get out his special chair and watch this movie. This went on for about two months.
Once he knew all of his letters and sounds well, I started him on the Hooked on Phonics program. Hooked on Phonics was one of the best investments we have ever made! We bought it on ebay about five years ago and I have used it to teach Nate and Jace how to read. (They are both advanced readers in their respective classes.) The last three weeks Drew has been doing the program, as well as a neighbor boy, Jace's best friend Jayson. Drew is almost done with level 1 and on to level 2. It is amazing to see how well kids do on this progam. So I have to HIGHLY recommend these two products, they are worth every penny!

7 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for the tip. I really want to teach Jake, and any other children that come our way, to read at home before they hit school. So this is going on my list.
Thanks Girl!

oh are you thinking about San Antonio this year?

Becky said...

I have it for Mia who's 4 also. We just watch it in the car. Which is alot. But she loves it and knows most of the sounds.

Adah said...

I can't believe I will have to start thinking about this sort of thing soon...Elsie is almost a year. I know she is a long way off from 4 or 5 but it has flown by so far so who is going to slow it down??

Erica Johnston said...

I had to say that pic with your 'new' little siter and Sara is ADORABLE!!

Jenny Bobo said...

Thanks for the heads up...I think I will look into that. And I'm glad the video help. Amazing isn't it that it helps so much?! Anyway, hope things are going well. Greg and I need to get over there and see you guys! You aren't even that far away!

Lisa Tippetts said...

Hi Kierra! It's me, Lisa (Whittle) Tippetts. I just came across your blog and wanted to say Hi! It was so good to read that everyone in your family is doing well. Give them our love for me. :)

Tera said...

Hey Keirra! Long time no see. It sounds like you guys are doing great in South Carolina. Your family (including you) is absolutely gorgeous. I see you now have a little girl (congratulations). We remember our time in Boston with such fondness and love for all of our friends from there and I am glad to have found your blog. I'll never forget your willingess to come and babysit my brood of children right when we moved in and you were 10 months pregnant with Jace. You are such a big part of what made our "Boston Experience" one of the greatest years of my life.

If it is okay, I would love to post a link to your blog on my blog, but I won't do it without your permission. My blog address is teramillerfamily.blogspot.com if you'd like to check it out. Our families have grown so much since we were last in Boston. We think of y'all often.