Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Blue Angel, Real Angel

During the last maneuver of the Blue Angels show, the number six jet, flown by Commander Kevin Davis, crashed in a wooded residential area in Beaufort. It was devastating to witness such a terrifying event. Though it was impossible for the crowd to see the actual crash, up went a plume of smoke immediately after number six flew out of sight. Only five jets returned to formation, and suddenly chaos and confusion set in. It was soon realized the tragedy that occured after one of the jets left formation and circled over the area of the crash sight, followed by a helicopter. I had been shopping with Sara that day, and seen the Blue Angels doing some of their maneuvers overhead in the parking lot of a store. It was not long after that Andy had called me and said that he thought a plane went down.




I cannot describe the sadness that carried over into the days that followed. Earlier in the week, the Virginia Tech shootings took place. And then this happened, WHERE I LIVE. To see the impact that it had on this community (and still does and will), though truly a sad occurence, has been such a blessing. I have seen it strengthen testimonies in the children in our ward through constant prayer for his family. I have seen this man become a hero in the eyes of so many, big and small. I have seen the "power of one" through this experience. He has truly left his mark in this world, and inspired thousands.


Here are some links to news articles about the crash.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/21/blueangels.crash/index.html
http://www.beaufortgazette.com/breaking_news/story/6477257p-5768379c.html




The crash site taped off and under investigation.


No comments: